Happiest of Birthdays, Jackers

01 March 2013

An Open Letter to Jack

My sweet boy.  Many told me I would fall in love with you when I first met you, but I didn’t believe them, because I did not think I could figure out how to love a boy; I only knew girls.  I must admit how utterly wrong I was to believe you would not steal my heart.  This past year has challenged your health, but you have been such a trooper.  Starting with RSV, we have had to figure out what is happening with you without your input.  You have always been the happiest little guy. 

You have the best big sister, too.  I did not know how Kate would be; especially since she wanted a sister.  But there has never been a moment of jealousy or meanness from Kate.  As soon as you whimper on the monitor Kate wants to come to your room to see you and play with you.  From the beginning all she has wanted is to hold you…much to you not wanting it now that you are on the go, but she just loves you to pieces.  Playtime spent with Kate is one of your favorite times.  The two of you have your own way to play and you watch her in amazement, trying to imitate whatever it is she is doing.  Most times Kate plays to your level.  Countless stacking, Easter egg hunting, kitchen prepping has gone into the time you have with Kate.  I am so lucky to have the two of you at home with me to play and watch you grow. 

We have loved your crazy hair and all of its “styles.”  We have loved the many faces you have.  Trust me, there are many.  We have loved the way you put your head on our shoulders/legs/hands/tummy for just a moment and then you are off.  We have loved your grunts to get our attention and the way you are able to have a full conversation without words. 

You are an active little dude that keeps me on my toes.  Some call you Motion Man, and you are.  If there is something to get into, you are there.  And when told “NO,” you just smile or, better yet, shake your head “no” and continue to do it.  You cry when I smack your hand or bottom and you shake when I come back to do it again, but you are determined to do it regardless. 

This year has been such a fun time for me.  I can’t believe how full my heart is.  I can’t believe I get to stay home with two of the greatest kids (and I really believe that).  I can’t believe how fast the time has gone. Here’s to the next year with the two of you.  

 Jack got a new tent for his birthday.  It had to be big enough for both kids as Jack tore Kate's tent up in less than 2 months.  She had it for 3 years.
 Jack got a big, blue ball for his birthday from Kate, but he likes to play with her pink one (of course) instead.  And smiles like he knows  it isn't his.



 Birthday cupcakes made by me, decorated by Kate.

 The birthday boy.  Love this little guy!
 Another new ball for his birthday...and a singing card from Mom.
 Cake time.  Too bad Jack only eats dry, crunchy carbs.
 Kate helped blow out the candle, because that's what big sister's do!
 Is this party really for me???? What do I do with this cupcake?  Upside down? Right side up?

 Well, it is better than that he thought it would be, but that doesn't mean he wanted more.
Happy one year of Jack.  We have loved (most of) it!

1 comments:

Dad said...

What a great letter to the Little Dude! He is sure a happy guy and who is blessed to have a great Sister. More importantly wonderful and loving parents. Can't wait to see the tribe in Florida this week!!!