farm-to-park living

29 September 2013

 We spend a lot of time outside.  A lot.  We had a family picture taken and we were even able to take the Mule to the location.  How awesome is that?

Jack still enjoys playing in his impromptu sandbox that Carolyn made for him.  He has helpers, whether the four or two-legged variety.  Anyone who knows me knows I cannot stand sand, so this is NOT my favorite play area, but he does this daily.
I planted another batch of squash to see if we could have it for fall.  I also planted more lettuce and spinach, and we are enjoying that, so let's hope the squash makes it!  Jack helped me water the seeds daily.  He is not speaking a lot, and some of that has to do with his swallowing issues, it is thought, but he does get some of it out.  "wa-wa" being a big one, especially when he grabs the hose and heads to the garden.
 Kate's class went on a field trip to one of the local farms where she got to bring home a pumpkin she picked.  Once home, she focused on washing it well.  It took about 30 minutes to reach her level of clean.  And now it resides outside.  Ahhh, the mind of a 5 year-old.
I had been trying to get Jack to watch more TV or at least to sit still longer because of the upcoming procedures and I didn't know what would be asked of him (and me) in the hospital.  He likes the first six minutes of the Chica Show - until it goes into a cartoon.  When he hears the chicken squeaks, he goes into the family room to see.  Kate was sitting on the couch and he crawled right into her lap to watch.  These two are going to be huge buddies; that much is certain!
 I went to pick Jack up from school early one day and the kids were outside playing.  He didn't even notice me and just kept playing.  Prior to this day, he whimpered or cried each time I dropped him off.  After this day, he just waved "bye-bye" and I was out of there.  This kid loves the outside.
 Kate had a day off from school at the end of September and Jack had Kindermusik, so it was a great day to hit the park early.
 Kate wanted to pose with the turtle at the park.
 Jack has becoming interested in watching the boats travel the river.  He ventures out of the park to see what is going on.
 Back at home, Jack has begun riding with Kate again.  It isn't all about running up and down the road anymore.
 She is such a good playmate for Jack.  I want to scream at her a lot, because of her attitude, but the sweetness and love she shows Jack is something I can't even describe.  She is constantly watching him; she is constantly making sure he is taken care of; she is constantly putting his needs above hers.  Something I did not teach her.  Just Kate being Kate.
 Kate wanted to pull up some of her carrots to see if they were ready for harvest.  Not quite, but they are getting close.

1 comments:

Dad said...

What a great Brother/Sister relationship! I know that will probably change when the teen years come; but they sure love each other and being together.