Introducing Master Jack Matthew Mason!

01 March 2012

March 1st was the day.  I decided it the day before.  I went to my regularly scheduled appointment with Dr. Ottman and she called the hospital to tell them I was on my way for monitoring.  She knew she was doing a c-section by the end of the day because I was DONE with this!  39 weeks to the day.  I wasn't sleeping, I wasn't walking right, I wasn't sitting right...and everyone around me was tired of hearing it.  SO, before heading to the hospital, I dropped off Kate's stuff and the recycling at mom's and went to buy a few Matilda Jane pieces at a friend's house.  I hadn't eaten past 6 a.m.  I was ready to rock.  Matt went to get an oil change and then met me at the hospital.  They hooked me up to the machines and we waited.  Thinking we would settle in, Matt left at 11 to go let Drake out and grab some lunch.  It was only then the nurse let me know that Ottman was coming to do the section at 1:30.  What??  I began sweating now.  Was I ready to see Jack?  Could I deal with two kids?  Could I love him like I loved Kate when she was born?  What about my incision?  What about the spinal?  My mind raced.  We headed back, I got the spinal, said "yes" to the Kangaroo hold (putting Jack on me after he was born), and away Dr. Ottman went on getting Jack out!  Soon we heard the cry.  It sounded like a feral cat.  Kate's was high-pitched.  I can still remember it.  Jack's was deeper.  I heard, "Look at that head!  Look at that hair!  Look how big he is" and then I saw him and they were right!  The nurses wiped him off minimally and put him on my chest.  Now, we all know I am not a touchy-feely person, but when they put him on my chest, he stopped crying and began sucking his thumb.  He was home.  He knew me.  It was then that I began feeling sick, so I made sure Matt had his hand on him as well, because I knew he was going to fall if he didn't.  I am sure he wouldn't but at the time, I imagined him rolling onto the floor.  No umbilical issues like Kate, so we were able to be with him.  Matt took him into the nursery with the nurses and he was part of this kid's first moments.  WIth Kate, I had lots of pictures because she was on oxygen and Matt was out with the viewers, but for Jack, he was right there.  I have no "first moment pictures or video because of this.  I am glad he was there with him...a boy needs his daddy!
 I was able to get my hands on him a couple of hours later.  What a sweet boy.  Looked exactly like Kate except for the hair...the HAIR!  Where did he get that?  NO, I didn't have heartburn.
 I sent Matt this picture at 2 in the morning, because what else was I to do when awake for most of the night with my sweet boy.  "Good morning, Daddy," we said.
 I watched him sleep most of the days.  He was a great sleeper.  He was a great entertainer with his expressions, just like Kate.  Yep, the uncertainty of loving another went right out the door.  And it only made me love Kate more.  She is the most gentle girl with Jack.  She wants to hold him, feed him, make him laugh, play with him (she gets a little ahead of herself).  She did say, "he is a bit boring" from time to time...and we all agree.  The kid likes his sleep.  I am not going to complain!





These people are my world and I am lucky, lucky, lucky.  A family of four is a good thing!  And March is a good month for awakenings!

Details for Jack:  born at 1:58 p.m.
                           8 pounds, 13 ounces
                           20 1/2 inches
                           March 1, 2012

2 comments:

Jamie Helms said...

Ohhhhhh, he is PRECIOUS!!! I cannot wait to meet him! We are. Coming in town next week-- we will call soon!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! JJ forgot to tell me your little guy was here, and he is beautiful. Good job! Kate looks more and more a MiniMe of her Daddy. I know you all are going to enjoy your babies.

Sandy Grimsley