The day we had been waiting for finally arrived. Kate woke at 7, ready to head to camp. We had to wait until 1 for drop-off. The morning was long. Laundry to be done, a quick run to Target for leggings in case she got cold at night, and a shower, in case it was her last for a few days.
Finally...we went. As we were driving down Nashway Road, I told Kate we were almost there. She panicked and said she didn't think she wanted to go. Upon turning in the gates, she said her tummy was hurting. We talked about being nervous and that it was ok, but that she knew friends already, and that she had been waiting for this to happen. We said that nerves were ok; they meant good things. She hesitantly got out, helped carry her duffel to the pile, and sat for this picture. Seems the nerves were going away.Pictures at the sign, because we need to document this event, because it is an event. For both Kate and for me. And for my dad and mom. And Grandma and Grandpa. And every other Rogers. What I would give for them to see this moment. On earth. Because I know they are in heaven.
On our way to the Rockin' Robins cabin, sweatshirt and bag on head. Yep, she is going to do just fine!
Outside the cabin with her sign!
Once we got her bed made, I couldn't get her off of it. So happy. She put her pictures on her board and then watched as her friends unpacked. We were going to walk around and see everything, but she told me it was ok for me to leave.
Sawyer, one of the Denver friends, came to chat, and I loved seeing this moment.
The caper chart for her activities. Kate was caper fairy, which meant she was to help anyone who needed it. She thought that was a great job.
Caroline and Kate - chalet mates.
Her bed minus the pillow her mama forgot.
and they have hula hoops!
Our stop at the infirmary for the health check. Temp was normal and no lice! :-) Whew!
Marjo teaching the girls the basics of bug spray.
A walk down to bass lake.
And our goodbyes. Sweet moment. Kate wanted to tell me something as I was saying goodbye. I bent down and she said, "Mama, I am crying." We talked that it was ok to cry and be sad and miss people. Marjo made the girls promise to do three things that we wouldn't let them do, which was a cute little promise for them. I sure will miss her while she is gone.
But for the moment, these girls will fill the void!
And this...to end the camper's first night.



















0 comments:
Post a Comment