Derby (hat) day and Spring Show at Hasting's

09 May 2013

 For two weeks we knew it was Derby hat day.  I got 20+ hats out for Kate to model, look at, decide between, change her mind, and choose another.  We KNEW it was the day of the spring show.  The day arrived and we pulled into school and we had BOTH forgotten her hat.  Tears.  From Kate.  And on the way home from me.  I let my baby girl down.  She was so disappointed.  Carrie was at my house, so when I pulled in, all tear-stained, I asked if she would keep Jack while I pieced something together to go with what she was wearing that day at school.  Some hat pins and flowers later, I took her hat to her.  Within 30 minutes of her arriving.  Crisis solved, but I was so upset.
 Carrie went with me to the afternoon spring show at Kate's school.  What a beautiful day and bittersweet because it is the last time I will see her preschool show.  The last time I will have her home on Mondays and Fridays.  The last time my baby girl will not have a grade next to her name.  Not "A" or "B," but a grade level.  So crazy to think about.
 Kate had a great group of friends at her school this year.  They will split up this coming school year, but we are going to use summer to our full advantage.  They will also have dance classes together in the upcoming years, but no more all-day learning adventures.  No more lunch dates.

The teachers at Kate's school are also incredible.  Several were teachers at my elementary school, so it was like old-school week every time I dropped her off or picked her up.  I loved each story Kate told and each story her teachers told me.  I will miss her being part of such a loving, kind, small, and happy place.  In a couple of years Jack will attend Hasting's and I hope he has the same success Kate has had.

1 comments:

Dad said...

Great Job Kate! Congrats and now onto THE BIG SCHOOLS!